Friday, February 8, 2013

Pictures from School and Clinicals

This is me at the Med Cart at the nursing home yesterday with our instructor Janelle. She's great! She doesn't look too happy here but she's really nice and fun.
Studying with Celessta and Madison, planning our inservice

 "Documenting" haha. The clipboard's got all my NANDA info on it
 Post conference and reviewing for our med test.
 My roommate Courtney and I at the nursing home!
 In class, with Jisoo and Sarah making a big poster of the heart
 Part of the group at the nursing home
 Now I'm actually charting.

 This is one of those weekends where I will be pulling an all nighter or two....probaly just one though ;) Today, I'll be presenting an inservice to the staff of the nursing home I've been at for the last 5 weeks with Celessta and Madison on the importance of keeping residents active in the center. Then, I have to study for a medication test, which will be mainly Fill in the Blank over some of the medications we've been passing out. It shouldn't be too bad, but it's really hard to keep the generic AND brand names straight. That shouldn't be too bad, I'll just have to take that before 7 pm today. Then Monday I have a test on Birth Process, and Tuesday I have a test on End of Life Care and Hematological/Lymphatic Systems. Over the weekend, I have to type up a full "NANDA" care plan on a patient I spent my time with on Thursday at the nursing home. These NANDAs are our worst nightmares-NANDA is great, because you have to get subjective and objective data on a patient covering every aspect of the patient's life. This is part of "holistic" care of the patient. The outline we use to ask questions and get data from is about 10 pages long. The hard part isn't getting the data (well sometimes, it is, depending on how much your patient is willing to talk or cooperate with you), but it's really time consuming writing out all of your data separated into their various sections (such as "Activity and Rest", "Nutrition", "GI System", etc) and then further divided into Subjective (data the patient or their family member tells you) and Objective (measurable data you gather). And write it out in narrative format. You also have to submit one to three care plans with the NANDA.
Anyway, that takes me forever (4 hours is forever to me) and starting next week, when I start my clinical rotations at Castleview again in the Med/Surg unit, I'll have one due EVERY WEEK! Ah! They're due Monday at 8:30 so that/s usually my weekend project. I also need to do my write up paper on my experience at the Public Health Department. It was cool, I got to go to the elementary school in Helper and help the school nurse do vision tests, and then a family of 5 came in and they all had lice, so we had to check their hair for nits. Oh, the joy. It just reminds you to exercise EXTRA caution when handling patients because you never know what they have!
Enough rambling!!!! I hope you all have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Dang girl! You are a busy woman! You deserve a vacation after this!